What is Coronavirus?
Coronaviruses (CoV) are a large family of viruses that cause illness ranging from the common cold to more severe diseases.
Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) is a new strain that was discovered in 2019 and has not been previously identified in humans.
The Virus transmits rapidly from human to human. Common signs of infection include respiratory symptoms, fever, cough, shortness of breath and breathing difficulties. In more severe cases, infection can cause pneumonia, severe acute respiratory syndrome, kidney failure and even death.
Standard recommendations to prevent infection spread include regular hand washing, covering mouth and nose when coughing and sneezing, thoroughly cooking meat and eggs. Avoid close contact with anyone showing symptoms of respiratory illness such as coughing and sneezing.
Signs and symptoms of COVID-19 :
- Shortness of Breath
In advance cases, the patient can have very serious complications, which can lead to death such as Severe Pneumonia or Renal (Kidney Failure)
How to Prevent?
- Avoid large gatherings
- Throw used tissues into closed bins immediately after use.
- If you are returning from notified country by WHO keep yourself in home quarantine until 14 days. Keep distance from your family members/ relatives/ neighbors.
- Maintain social distancing of at least 1 meter from person who is suffering from symptoms of cold, fever or cough.
- Practice frequent hand washing. Wash hands with soap and water or use alcohol based hand rub.
- Report to doctor if you feel unwell (fever, cough, difficult breathing) during your home confinement. For assistance call the Helpline Numbers.
- Cover your nose and mouth with handkerchief/ tissues while sneezing and coughing.
- If one has travel history to affected countries please do self-reporting to the nearest health centre or IDSP cell or call the Helpline Numbers.
- Take help of 108 ambulance to reach district hospital or medical college for OPD services with prior information.
- Stay at home if you begin to feel unwell, even with mild symptoms such as headache and slight runny nose, until you recover.
- Have a close contact with anyone if you are experiencing cough and fever.
- Touch your eyes, nose and mouth
- Unnecessary travel to any place
- Spit in public
- Shake hands
- Hug anyone
Please inform health authorities if anyone of your family or your neighbourhood are having signs and symptoms. Dial 104 or call at 6913347770/1/2/3.