NEED of the Program:
It was identified that approximately 6 percent of general population suffer from neuropsychological problem requiring medical care. An analysis has indicated that the incidence will increase to 15 percent by 2020.This population is scattered all over the state and the health care services must reach to the grassroots to cover this population.
Objectives of NMHP:
- To ensure the availability and accessibility mental health care services to all.
- To ensure the mental health knowledge in general health care and in social development.
- To promote community participation in mental health care.
- To provide sustainable basic mental services to the community and to integrate these services with other health services.
- Early detection and treatment of patients.
- To see that those patients and their relatives do not have to travel long distances to access health care services for mentally ill patients.
- To take pressure off the larger or central mental hospitals.
- To reduce the stigma and discrimination attached towards mental ill persons.
- Rehabilitative services for such category of persons.
Current Status NMHP, (at District Level)
A. District Mental Health Program DMHP:
Eight districts are already covered in the state of Assam namely Nogaon, Goalpara, Tinsukia, Darang, Nalbari, Morigaon, Karbi Along, Karimgang, All the centers are located in the district civil hospital. Human Resource (Staff categories per centre)- Psychiatrist (1), Clinical Psychologist (3)Psychiatrist-Social Worker(i), Nurse (DPN qualification or trained on mental health) (4), Case registrar. All staff has been recruited and are in place. Outdoor registration and examination patients have been started. Indoor ward has been constructed /renovated with a capacity for thirty, patients. Training program for general physicians for detection and treatment of some minor mental programs has been initiated in these civil hospitals.
Anti psychiatric medicines are supplied to these hospitals.
B. Medical Colleges:
The colleges included are Gauhati Medical College, Assam Medical College, Silchar Medical college.
The psychiatry ward has been renovated and the capacity indoor patients has been . increased. Post graduate courses on Psychiatry are going on.
C. LGB Regional Institute of Mental Health:
The institute is renovated and Post graduate courses have been started. There is both indoors and out door facilities. The institute will be conducting ‘Mental Health Survey” in Assam. The training for the same has already been completed.
Centre of excellence:
Both LGB Regional institute of Mental Health and Medical Colleges are identified as Centre of Excellence. Both these centre receive a special grant for infrastructure development and conducting PG and diploma courses. They will be a Resource Centre for the academicians, research scholars.
- “Sensitization of Police and Medical Officers on “Mental Health Act” regarding rescue and treatment of homeless or guardian-less mentally ill persons.
- IEC materials in local language for pregnant women attending antenatal clinic regarding early detection and available help for mentally deficit children.
- School teachers will be educated on child psychology and mental health problems related to children.
Strength of State Program: All existing centers has been upgraded and requisite staff has been recruited.
Weakness: Lack of training. Long delay in fund disbursal for conducting the program, Lack of knowledge on legal provisions of Mental Health Act.
Opportunity: The various departments and other stakeholders are available in the state for successful implementation of the program as a joint venture.
Threat: Apart from natural calamities, paucity of fund may be big threat to the program.
Click here for more details.