Earthquake Preparedness Contingency Plan
This Plan is prepared for a systematic approach and organizational preparedness to meet major goals and targets successfully. The policy of Fire & Emergency Services to respond to disasters like earthquake may be summarised in one simple mission statement - “We serve to save and the department is committed to providing an effective and efficient response in all emergency situations which threatens life, property and public safety.”
- To mitigate the impact of earth-quake disaster through community awareness and preparedness.
- To provide effective support to all concerned.
- To keep co-ordination and co-operation with other line departments or stakeholders.
- To develop an immediate and long-term support system.
- To create general awareness among the people about earthquake hazards and safety measures
- Fire & Emergency Services as well as State Disaster Response Force(S.D.R.F.) Personnel is called upon to respond to all types of hazards, whether man-made or natural, to serve the distressed people of the state. Presently, the department is under the administrative control of the Home(B) Department of the Govt. of Assam and is functioning with 110(one hundred and ten) Fire & Emergency Services Stations with manpower of 2741 personnel with a mandate to give fire protection and emergency coverage including search & rescue operations all over the state.
- Community-based Earthquake Sensitization and Awareness Programme which includes School going community, different types of Educational Institutions Govt. and Pvt. Sector etc.
- Non-School going Community- Various Apartments, High rise buildings, Public Places, Lifeline buildings etc.
- Business Community- Multiplex, Commercial Complex, Industrial, Warehouses, Godowns etc.
- Key steps for Earthquake Sensitization and Awareness
- Sensitization meeting for awareness amongst Communities
- Formation of Disaster Management Committee in different establishments
- Hazard identification and safety audit
- Develop and Prepare a Disaster Management Plan
- Formation and Training of Disaster Management Team
- Awareness activities & Dissemination of the plan to all the occupants of different establishments(Educational Institution, Offices, Apartments, Shopping Mall, Hospital/Nursing Home etc.)
- Organizing and Conducting Mock Drills at regular intervals
- Evaluation Plan for improved effectiveness and capacity building
Special Awareness Campaign
- Special Awareness Campaigning on Earthquake and Landslide in some identified vulnerable hill areas.
- Special Apartment based Sensitization and Awareness Programme on Earthquake and Fire.
- Special Inspection Campaign on Fire & Earthquake Safety in a multi-storied building(apartment) and major industries.
- Publicity of Earthquake Safety Measures through Newspaper, Printed and Electronic Media
During Earthquake (Disaster ) Activities
- Activation and Mobilisation of 110(One hundred ten) fire & emergency station as per Standing Operating Procedure(SOP).
- To utilize firefighting and search and rescue equipment, appliances, and resources to the optimum at the time of need.
- The policy of using available resources to get maximum output.
Activation of Plan Action
- As soon as information is received of an emergency, the concerned fire & emergency services station of that area will be the first responder.
- Passing of information to the seniors(as per hierarchy) and mobilization of re-enforcement etc.
- Depending on the situation each team member will discharge his responsibilities as per instruction of the attending senior officer.
- More resources will be mobilized from all available sources by the senior most officer present as per the Contingency Plan and Standard Operating Procedure.