Artificial Insemination of Animals in the state is mainly looked after by the Assam Livestock Development Agency (ALDA).
Benefits of AI in Livestock:
- There is no need of maintenance of breeding bull for a herd, hence the cost of maintenance of breeding bull is saved.
- It prevents the spread of certain diseases and sterility due to genital diseases.
- The sperm of one high-quality bull acn be used to inseminate 20-25 cows at the same time.
- Cross-breeding is possible leading to high-quality calves of superior genetic merit
- Specific mating is possible
- A shorter calving season is possible
- Old bulls can also be used effectively
- Testing of progeny can be done at an early age
- Achievements in AI by ALDA in Assam
- Cattle Breeding network in Assam was strengthened with introduction of AI in 300 centres. The coverage was increased from 4% to 9% in 2004-05 to 2014-15.
- Establishment of a state-of-the-art Frozen Semen Bull Station (FSBS) at Barrapeta with initial capacity of 5.00 lakh of pure Jersey and HF frozen semen doses production per year (Accredited with A Grade).
- Liquid nitrogen and Frozen Semen (LN & FS) distribution network strengthened and expanded from 7 FSBs covering 15 districts in 2004-05 to 15 FSBs covering all 27 districts in 2015-16 .
- Capacity building of departmental AI workers for improved scientific service delivery to farmer
- Organization of public awareness on AI programme
- Launch of programme for local Swamp Buffalo improvement and conservation at Barhampur
- Initiation of the Livestock Insurance Programme in the year 2006-07 by ALDA in 6 districts. Till April 2017, 150254 numbers of animals have been insured and 4573 numbers of claims settled
- Initiation of AI of goat to reach out to the marginal farmers in collaboration with Assam Agricultural University.
What is Doorstep AI?
The Department of AH & Veterinary through ALDA provides scientific doorstep AI facilities for cattle, goats and pigs. This is facilitated by Field Veterinary Officers, Para Vets or by trained unemployed youth. The Department will guide the farmer through the process and provide him with assistance at every step.
AI Centres in Assam:
Department of AH & Veterinary, Assam has 1275 rural AI centres throughout the state to cater to the needs of dairy farmers.
Each district has 30 to 70 AI centres depending upon the population of breedable bovine and area of coverage. One or two districts are grouped under each of the 15 Frozen semen Banks (FSB) in Assam.
The semen collected at Barapetta FSBS is transferred to Khanapara Central FSB and Nagaon FSB and finally to field AI centres.
Whom to Contact?
Assam Livestock Development Agency
G.S. Road, Khanapara, Guwahati - 22
Phone No.: 9435142659