The Government of India (GOI) rolled out the NPS for all citizens of India from May 1, 2009 and Corporate sector from December, 2011.
The person (employee/citizen) who joins the NPS will be known as "Subscriber" in the NPS. Under the NPS, each Subscriber will open an account with Central Recordkeeping Agency (CRA) which will be identified through unique Permanent Retirement Account Number (PRAN).
Under NPS, two types of account would be available to subscribers i.e. Tier I & Tier II; Tier I account - where subscribers contribute his / her savings (may include employers contribution in case of Corporate sector) for retirement into a non-withdrawable account, and a Tier II account - a voluntary savings account from which subscribers are free to withdraw their savings whenever he wishes. The facility of Tier II account was made available from December 01, 2009 to All Citizens of India including Govt. employees and Corporate sector subscribers not mandatorily covered under NPS. An active Tier I account will be a pre-requisite for opening of a Tier II.
Over all process flow for service:
- Not allowed for Regular Government Employees of Assam joining on or after 01/02/2005
- Opening of Individual Pension Account under NPS (only Tier I / Tier I & Tier II)
- Making initial and subsequent contribution to your Tier I as well as Tier II account
Fees including the payment mode:
- Make online payment (Minimum amount of Rs 500)
- All NPS subscribers can contribute in Tier I & Tier II account through 'eNPS' using SBI ePay and BillDesk.
Accompanying Documents required:
After Permanent Retirement Account Number (PRAN) is allotted, subscriber can use one of the following options:
Option 1 - eSign
For Tier I PRANs generated through Aadhaar, you have option to eSign the document by following the below mentioned steps:
- Select 'eSign' option in the eSign / Print & Courier page
- OTP for the purpose of authentication will be sent to your mobile number registered with the Aadhaar
- After Authentication of Aadhaar, Registration form will be successfully eSigned
- Once a document is eSigned, you need not send the physical copy of form to CRA
- eSign charge Rs 5 plus service tax
Option 2 - Print and Courier
- Select 'Print & Courier' option in the eSign / Print & Courier page
- You need to take a printout of the form, paste your photograph (please do not sign across the photograph) & affix signature
- You should sign on the block provided for signature
- The photograph should not be stapled or clipped to the form
- The form should be sent within 90 days from the date of allotment of PRAN to CRA at the following address or else the PRAN will be 'frozen' temporarily
How to apply:
Click here to Apply.
Important Time lines:
- Due date: There is no due date of submission of application for registration.
- Time for processing: The proposal shall be cleared within 30 days from the date of submission of application
Whether the service is Offline or Online:
Service is online.
Whom to Contact:
Central Recordkeeping Agency (eNPS),
NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited,
1st Floor, Times Tower,
Kamala Mills Compound, Senapati Bapat Marg,
Lower Parel, Mumbai - 400 013
Click here for Online Grievances or Enquiry.