Overview of the Department:
Assam, one of the States of North Eastern India is endowed with abundant fertile land and water resources. The mighty Brahmaputra and the Barak flow through out the two valleys keeping the State fertile and cool. Assam is a hot spot of biodiversity due to its warm humid climate with abundance of forest and hilly areas. Abundance of biowaste from the Nature for recycling as organic or Natural farming. In hilly areas, Pineapple, Orange, Assam Lemon, Passion Fruits, Spices like Ginger and Turmeric are grown in a big way with no use of chemicals.
- Promote, finance and support producer owned and controlled organizations.
- Facilitate Transformation of traditional farming system into a commercial and technology based sustainable enterprise to maximize farmer's farm income.
- Facilitate the promotion , consolidation and sustainability of farming business by facilitating quality services viz. knowledge technology, credit, inputs, marketing and value addition under business partnership model.
- Facilitate the growth of Agribusiness in the state for Farmers, Social, Corporate and Environmental Good.
- Facilitate the generation of increase donfarm and offfarm employment.
- Horticulture and Food Processing Department has its Directorate office in Guwahati.
- The department has district agriculture office in each district.
- Each district office in turn has its sub offices in each subdivisions.