Objective and Functions of Water Resources Department, Assam
- Formulation and execution of schemes for flood and river bank erosion management
- Formulation and execution of schemes for removal of drainage congestion.
- Formulation and execution of schemes for reclamation of already eroded areas by river Brahmaputra including channelizing the river.
- Hydrological and meteorological data collection /acquisition and resource assessment
- Investigation for water resources projects
- Independent review / evaluation of activities of organization with a view to improve functioning
- Follow up actions on National Flood Policy
- Techno-economic evaluation of the flood and erosion management projects
- Planning, design, execution and performance study of flood management schemes/projects in the state.
- Collection of Hydro-meteorological data in the state
- Research and development, training and all matters relating to flood (control) management, drainage, water logging and river bank erosion problems.
- Water Laws, legislation.
- Assistance of international organizations relating to formulation of project for flood management in the state
- Matters relating to rivers common to India and neighbouring countries; (The Joint Group of Experts with Bhutan, Joint river Commission with Bangladesh).
- External assistance and cooperation programmes in the field of flood management. (Asian Development Bank, World Bank)